REFLECTOR:The Prop Situation

Andy Millin reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 23 May 2004 21:05:01 -0400

Hi All,

I was at the AS3 convention in Las Vegas this week.  While I was there
peddling my software, the Hartzell guys came walking by.

Sort of tongue-in-cheek I asked them when they would have a composite prop
for pusher applications.  I was looking for a serious brush off, but to my
great surprise, they engaged in a very serious manner.

They have been making composite stuff for commuter turbo props for some time
and have apparently been making some composite props for the experimental
market.  I didn't know it, but they have hired a group to research and start
developing products especially for the homebuilts.  Apparently they finally
got the message that 3 out of 4 new light GA aircraft being registered are
amateur built.

They asked about the application, the aircraft, and the fleet size.  As we
went on, they became more interested.  I was really expecting the brush off
at any minute.

Then came the most interesting part.  I told them that MT is really the only
option for the XL, and there are a considerable number of SE aircraft with
the MT.  This honestly started to raise their blood pressure.  Apparently MT
has been eating their lunch for a while in the GA market and they might be
getting a little hungry.

They went on for the next few minutes trying to convince me that they
really, really want to compete with them.  They never called them MT, they
simply referred to them as "the Germans."  They knew quite a few details
about hydraulic leaks and such that MT has been struggling with.  This seems
to be a major burr under their saddle.  Go figure.

Just for a little icing on the cake, I happened to have a Trade-A-Plane I
had just picked up at TAP's booth.  I turned to the Velocity section, and
I'll be darned, three of the six Vs for sale had MT props.  They asked if
they could tear out the page and take it back with them.  Sure.

I did explain that our primary motivation is to find another option at this
time.  Sure we would like a better price if it works out, but give us a
choice.

Their initial reaction was that theirs would probably be in the same price
range initially, but they feel their service and customer care are far
superior.

Both reps asked for my business card and said they would be in contact soon.
I told them that I am just a lowly builder, but am part of a greater
community of builders that has a keen interest in this subject.

Scott Baker, if you are reading this, I told them I would put them in touch
with you if they do call me.

FWIW,

Best to everyone!

Andy