REFLECTOR:Pitch Trim Spring

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 16 May 2004 20:21:44 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00DA_01C43B83.67B6BC00

I have a 173 Elite RG and did not alter the trim spring.  I too thought =
it seemed awfully stiff after I installed it.  But once flying, it is =
fine just the way it is.  Stick forces for pitch and roll are pretty =
balanced when trimmed for cruise.

You need a lot of up trim (2" for two people up front), which pretty =
much washes out by the time you are flying.  The only problem I have is =
in a cruise descent and I am alone.  It takes pretty good forward stick =
pressure to descend. With two people not a problem.  I am planning to =
make a new front trim motor bracket to provide a little more down trim =
but it is not high on my priority list.  I can relieve the forward =
pressure just by pulling back on the power some more (get the airspeed =
down to 140-150 kts in the descent instead of 165 knots).  If you trim =
the spring, you will wind up having to apply much more stick forces on a =
loaded take off and in descent.

I'd suggest installing the spring per the manual.  It works!

Ronnie
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jim Sower=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2004 6:12 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Pitch Trim Spring

  I've been wondering the same thing.  I figured I'd just trim the =
compromised part of the spring a little to reduce stick pressure and see =
what it felt like and go at it progressively.  Trouble is, if I didn't =
like it, if it became too light, what would I do then?  I'd have to make =
a new one and start the process over and ....  Figured I'd make a new =
spring as exactly like the original as I could, and cut that one.  I'd =
attach it and measure stick pressure per elevator deflection for both =
units and go to work.  If I got somewhere that I didn't want to be, I =
could always re-install the original.=20
  Having thought it through this far, I reminded myself that either I =
had got used to the original spring (and the relationship between pitch =
and roll stick forces) really REALLY fast, or that they were right about =
where they needed to be.  Decided I did NOT need a light stick in pitch =
but a heavy one in roll.  I put the whole project waaaay down toward the =
bottom of my list.=20

  I suspect it will stay there .... Jim S.=20

  NMFlyer1@aol.com wrote:=20

    I recently rigged my elevators and attached my pitch trim. The pitch =
trim force seems quite high. I know that the trim spring can be trimmed =
to get the force that you want. What I don't know is what force would be =
comfortable in the air, and how much more stiff the system feels with an =
airload.=20
    Any words of advice from those flying?=20
    I have the 173 FGE.=20

    Kurt Winker=20

    Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery=20
    user:pw =3D tvbf:jamaicangoose=20
    Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail=20
    Check old archives: =

  --=20
  Jim Sower ... Destiny's Plaything=20
  Crossville, TN; Chapter 5=20
  Long-EZ N83RT, Velocity N4095T=20
   =20

------=_NextPart_000_00DA_01C43B83.67B6BC00

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have a 173 Elite RG and did not alter the trim =
spring.&nbsp;=20
I too thought it seemed awfully stiff after I installed it.&nbsp; But =
once=20
flying, it is fine just the way it is.&nbsp; Stick forces for pitch and =
roll are=20
pretty balanced when trimmed for cruise.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You need a lot of up trim (2" for two people up =
front), which=20
pretty much washes out by the time you are flying.&nbsp; The only =
problem I have=20
is in a cruise descent and I am alone.&nbsp; It takes pretty good =
forward stick=20
pressure to descend.&nbsp;With two people not a problem.&nbsp; I am =
planning to=20
make a new front trim motor&nbsp;bracket to provide a little more down =
trim but=20
it is not high on my priority list.&nbsp; I can relieve the forward =
pressure=20
just by pulling back on the power some more (get the airspeed down to =
140-150=20
kts in the descent instead of 165 knots).&nbsp; If you trim the spring, =
you will=20
wind up having to apply much more stick forces on a loaded take off and =
in=20
descent.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'd suggest installing the spring per the =
manual.&nbsp; It=20
works!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dcanarder@frontiernet.net =
href=3D"mailto:canarder@frontiernet.net">Jim=20
  Sower</A> </DIV>
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, May 16, 2004 6:12 =
PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Pitch =
Trim=20
  Spring</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>I've been wondering the same thing.&nbsp; I figured I'd =
just=20
  trim the compromised part of the spring a little to reduce stick =
pressure and=20
  see what it felt like and go at it progressively.&nbsp; Trouble is, if =
I=20
  didn't like it, if it became <I>too</I> light, what would I do =
then?&nbsp; I'd=20
  have to make a new one and start the process over and ....&nbsp; =
Figured I'd=20
  make a new spring as exactly like the original as I could, and cut =
<I>that</I>=20
  one.&nbsp; I'd attach it and measure stick pressure per elevator =
deflection=20
  for both units and go to work.&nbsp; If I got somewhere that I didn't =
want to=20
  be, I could always re-install the original.=20
  <P>Having thought it through this far, I reminded myself that either I =
had got=20
  used to the original spring (and the relationship between pitch and =
roll stick=20
  forces) really REALLY fast, or that they were right about where they =
needed to=20
  be.&nbsp; Decided I did NOT need a light stick in pitch but a heavy =
one in=20
  roll.&nbsp; I put the whole project waaaay down toward the bottom of =
my list.=20
  <P>I suspect it will stay there .... Jim S.=20
  <P>NMFlyer1@aol.com wrote:=20
  <BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=3D"CITE">I recently rigged my elevators and attached =
my pitch=20
    trim. The pitch trim force seems quite high. I know that the trim =
spring can=20
    be trimmed to get the force that you want. What I don't know is what =
force=20
    would be comfortable in the air, and how much more stiff the system =
feels=20
    with an airload.=20
    <P>Any words of advice from those flying? <BR>I have the 173 FGE.=20
    <P>Kurt Winker <BR>_______________________________________________ =
<BR>To=20
    change your email address, visit <A=20
    =
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector">http://www.tvbf.o=
rg/mailman/listinfo/reflector</A>=20

    <P>Visit the gallery!&nbsp; www.tvbf.org/gallery <BR>user:pw =3D=20
    tvbf:jamaicangoose <BR>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail =
<BR>Check=20
    old archives: <A=20
    =
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html">http://www.t=
vbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html</A></P></BLOCKQUOTE>
  <P>-- <BR>Jim Sower ... Destiny's Plaything <BR>Crossville, TN; =
Chapter 5=20
  <BR>Long-EZ N83RT, Velocity N4095T <BR>&nbsp; =
</P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00DA_01C43B83.67B6BC00--