REFLECTOR:I'm Flying Take a look

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 12 May 2004 23:03:11 EDT

-------------------------------1084417391

Are these things ever done?

I picked this project up started about two + years ago.  Like all of you I
have spent countless hours working reworking and when you think you ready more
things pop up.  But at least I was flying.  We flew the 40 hours off last
August and September 2003.  Then I flew back home to PA where I could complete the
Avionics and the exterior.  I thought this would take about 8- 10 weeks.  This
was until the painter said I needed to sand until my arm falls off then use
the other one.  The ten weeks turned into 4 1/2 months only an extra 2 months.
I flew the plane back to my home base in February where I was ready to start
the flying again.

After 3 hours and a hard crosswind we landed with a pretty strong side load
that ripped out the old pivot bushing in the Nose gear. Luckily the gear did
not collapse.  But when Scott says once you experience a nose shimmy you will
know. HE IS NOT JOKING.

So while the plane was down and I replaced the bushings with the new flanged
type I made a few upgrades.  I upgraded few things like Toe Breaks, Garmin
330, and WSI weather system.  To top it all off I had to replace the carpet on
the copilot side due to a hole made by a drop light a friend was using to help
me.  I also had to work on the oil cooling since the temps were a little high.
Make sure you use the thin spacer on the Vernatherm valve and use the Stewart
Warner cooler.

After I beat my head against the wall where there is now a big dent N787SB is
up and flying.  Three hours so far since the changes and upgrades.

Please take a look at the finished product let me know what you think.

http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/index.php?dir=completed_airplanes%2FXL-RG

Thanks for all the advise.
Steve
N787SB
XL-RG

-------------------------------1084417391

<HTML><HEAD>
rset=3DUS-ASCII">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>Are these things ever done?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I picked this project up started about two + years ago.&nbsp; Like&nbsp=
;all of you I&nbsp;have spent countless hours working reworking and when you=
 think you ready more things pop up.&nbsp; But at least I was flying.&nbsp;=20=
We flew the 40 hours off last August and September 2003.&nbsp; Then I flew b=
ack home to PA where I could complete the Avionics and the exterior.&nbsp; I=
 thought this would take about 8- 10 weeks.&nbsp; This was until the painter=
 said I needed to sand until my arm falls off then use the other one.&nbsp;=20=
The ten weeks turned into 4 1/2 months only an extra 2 months.&nbsp; I flew=20=
the plane back to my home base in February&nbsp;where I was ready to start&n=
bsp;the flying again.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>After 3 hours and a hard crosswind we landed with a pretty strong side=20=
load that ripped out the old pivot bushing in the Nose gear. Luckily the gea=
r did not collapse.&nbsp; But when Scott says once you experience a nose shi=
mmy you will know. HE IS NOT JOKING.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So while the plane was down and I&nbsp;replaced the bushings with the n=
ew flanged type I made a few upgrades.&nbsp; I&nbsp;upgraded few things like=
 Toe Breaks, Garmin 330, and WSI weather system.&nbsp; To top it all off I h=
ad to replace the carpet on the copilot side due to a hole made by a drop li=
ght a friend was using to help me.&nbsp; I also had to work on the oil cooli=
ng since the temps were a little high.&nbsp; Make sure you use the thin spac=
er on the Vernatherm valve and use the Stewart Warner cooler.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>After I beat my head against the wall where there is now a big dent N78=
7SB is up and flying.&nbsp; Three hours so far since the changes and upgrade=
s.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Please take a look at the finished product let me know what you think.&=
nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/index.php?dir=3Dcompleted_airpla=
nes%2FXL-RG">http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/index.php?dir=3Dcompleted_airplanes=