REFLECTOR:Checking valve guides ...

Airmech reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:58:14 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_036F_01C40A6B.A6B673D0

You don't need to remove the cylinder or try to stick the valve end out =
the plug hole. Lycoming service instruction SI 1424 tells how to check =
for sticking and how to remove and install the valves. Once you remove =
the spring(s) you can tell if it sticks by just moving the valve in and =
out with your fingers. It's very simple and just takes some cotton rope =
and a valve spring compresor. bg
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jim Sower=20
  To: Cozy Forum ; Velocity Forum=20
  Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 9:44 PM
  Subject: REFLECTOR:Checking valve guides ...

  I've got a problem for some of you Lyc doctors ....

  I've been hearing off and on about checking valve guides on Lycs
  for too much or too little clearance - either ready to seize or
  burning oil.  I'm doing my annual now and thought I'd check the
  guides on my angle valve IO-360.  Went to the local IA and he
  said that if he checks them at all, it's pull the jug, remove
  the valve and mic it.  Seemed a little much since I thought what
  I'd been hearing involved pulling the spring, wiggling the stem
  and estimating the severity of the lash problem.

  Is the "quick and dirty" check, I've described common practice?
  If so, how exactly, does one perform the inspection?  If not,
  how common is pulling the jugs, field stripping them and mic-ing
  the guides?  Do I need to bother at all with 500 hrs on the
  engine and two jugs with 100 and 200 hrs on them?

  Need some straight answers .... Jim S.

  user:pw =3D tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check old archives: =

------=_NextPart_000_036F_01C40A6B.A6B673D0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#008000 size=3D2>You don't need to =
remove the cylinder=20
or try to stick the valve end out the plug hole. Lycoming service =
instruction SI=20
1424 tells how to check for sticking and how to remove and install the =
valves.=20
Once you remove the spring(s) you can tell if it sticks by just moving =
the valve=20
in and out with your fingers. It's very simple and just takes some =
cotton rope=20
and a valve spring compresor. bg</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dcanarder@frontiernet.net =
href=3D"mailto:canarder@frontiernet.net">Jim=20
  Sower</A> </DIV>
  title=3DCozy_Builders@mailman.qth.net=20
  href=3D"mailto:Cozy_Builders@mailman.qth.net">Cozy Forum</A> ; <A=20
  title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">Velocity =
Forum</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, March 14, 2004 =
9:44=20
PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Checking =
valve guides=20
  ...</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>I've got a problem for some of you Lyc doctors =
....<BR><BR>I've=20
  been hearing off and on about checking valve guides on Lycs<BR>for too =
much or=20
  too little clearance - either ready to seize or<BR>burning oil.&nbsp; =
I'm=20
  doing my annual now and thought I'd check the<BR>guides on my angle =
valve=20
  IO-360.&nbsp; Went to the local IA and he<BR>said that if he checks =
them at=20
  all, it's pull the jug, remove<BR>the valve and mic it.&nbsp; Seemed a =
little=20
  much since I thought what<BR>I'd been hearing involved pulling the =
spring,=20
  wiggling the stem<BR>and estimating the severity of the lash=20
  problem.<BR><BR>Is the "quick and dirty" check, I've described common=20
  practice?<BR>If so, how exactly, does one perform the =
inspection?&nbsp; If=20
  not,<BR>how common is pulling the jugs, field stripping them and=20
  mic-ing<BR>the guides?&nbsp; Do I need to bother at all with 500 hrs =
on=20
  the<BR>engine and two jugs with 100 and 200 hrs on them?<BR><BR>Need =
some=20
  straight answers .... Jim=20
  S.<BR><BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>To =
change=20
  your email address, visit <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector">http://www.tvbf.o=
rg/mailman/listinfo/reflector</A><BR><BR>Visit=20
  the gallery!&nbsp; <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/gallery">www.tvbf.org/gallery</A><BR>user:pw =
=3D=20
  tvbf:jamaicangoose<BR>Check new archives: <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail">www.tvbf.org/pipermail</A><BR>Chec=
k old=20
  archives: <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html">http://www.t=
vbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html</A><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML=

------=_NextPart_000_036F_01C40A6B.A6B673D0--