REFLECTOR:AILERON CONTROL FORCE

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:26:18 -0500

I guess it hard to quantify just how stiff a new set up is unless you get a
spring scale out and do a pull test.  I'd have to agree that mine were a bit
stiff when I first installed everything.  I went back and made sure all of
the cable clamps kept the jackets straight with the inner cable.  I had
bought a couple of high temp cables from England when a quantity order was
put together by a fellow builder.

I found one of my original cables and one of the new cables were stiffer
than the remaining cables, so I used the freer cables - one original
Velocity and one from England.  They were still a bit stiff.  After flying
for a year, they have loosened up some.  It flies just fine considering this
is a cross country plane and not aerobatic.

And of course the elevator is stiff when moving against the trim spring.
But in the air, it all works fine.

If you want to get some quantitative data, I can measure my stick force to
move the ailerons and report back.

Ronnie Brown

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Martino" <tmartino@troubleshooter.com>
To: <reflector@www.tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 2:35 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR:AILERON CONTROL FORCE

| Am I the only one experiencing this?  When I installed my wings and
airlerons, along with the associated control cables ... I could not believe
the force it took to move them!

| I double-checked all the rigging and counter balance and am convinced
everything was done correctly.  I even went so far as having new high-tech
cables built.  The results were the same.

| So my question to fellow builders/flyers ... is it just a Velocity
characteristic?  Are the ailerons "stiff".  Is it unrealistic to expect them
to move like a regular plane?