REFLECTOR:Dallas Area Hangars?

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 08 Mar 2004 13:29:55 -0500

> I'm considering moving to the Dallas area

What part of town are you going to work in? I live in Frisco (next town north of Plano).

Dallas Love Field (DAL) should be avoided. Very high priced and has gone 911 security nuts. It has become a real pain to be there which I think fits right into their plans. They really don't like recips there. (one FBO manager on DAL actually told me "no recips allowed!")

Addison (ADS) is a DAL wanna be. The airport management is really going out of their way to run the recip folks off! They ran me off! They expect you to insure their hanger and you can't fuel under $3 gallon at any of the FBO's. Last I checked they do have hangers and it was because they had a mass exodus over their insurance policies.

McKinney (TKI) is a nice place- good facilities and fairly GA friendly. They could do better but at least they don't act like you are not even wanted like DAL and ADS do. Rent is a whopping $375 (They raised rates after everyone left ADS) for a t-hanger with concrete floor, one light bulb, one electric outlet and no water. Workable but I think the price it out of touch for what you get. (IMHO)

Still this is where I moved to from ADS. Could be better at TKI but it is still better than ADS to be sure.

As Milt noted, Aero Country is fine for a spam can but not a Velo! In fact, that is where I earned my DM rating! :-) We were out there last weekend and the gouges my folded front fork made in the asphalt of hiway 720 are still there! Depending on how close you are to flying though it could be an excellent place to build then move to a longer runway when you are ready to fly?

What part of town are you going to work in? That could the drive the decision some?

Alex mentioned $250 at Denton! (DTN) that perked my ears up. I have fueled at Denton a few times and it is a nice place but it's about a 45 minute drive from where I live (Frisco). That nice long smooth runway with open fields all around would be a truly suburb spot for first flights! If you moved to Flower Mound then DTN would be fairly close I think. (and Flower Mound is quite popular right now)

Redbird (RBD) south of Downtown Dallas has open hangers and cheap rent. I go to the avionics shop there and I do like the place even though it is a bit run down. If it was not such a long drive (over an hour) I would be there. Depending on where you are going to be working at south is a neglected option so real estate and airports are cheaper to the south. If you are not going to do your panel on your own then the avionics shop there does top notch work with lower than average prices. And they love experimental (the owner fly's one)

Mesquite- I don't have much info to offer. I just have not been over there much and not at all in the last 5 years.

Overall, other than the traffic and the summer heat, I think you will like the Dallas area a lot. 5 years ago I may not have said that but for the last few years I travel on business quite a bit so and have spent time in a lot of other cities so with a lot of comparisons in mind I can say the DFW area is a pretty nice place!

Rob