REFLECTOR:Wing/Canard/Fuselage Incidence

Al Gietzen reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 06:41:41 -0800

I had problems with my incidence gauges (warped), and I asked Mark
Machado at Velocity (when he still worked there) what the incidence
angles really were.  Here is the reply:
----------
-Could not find any documentation regarding incidence angles so we
measured
the jigs. The results are as follows (the data should be considered
preliminary):

canard -   4.6 degrees positive incidence
standard wing -   0.6 degrees positive incidence
LW wing -   0.9 degrees positive incidence

The incidence angle is based on the chord line of each individual
airflow
and its relationship to a level line. Positive is above level; negative
would be
below level.

Margin of error: probably plus/minus .1 degree on each measurement.

As Alex suggests; leveling the fuselage when making incidence
measurements is crucial.

FWIW,

Al