REFLECTOR:Re: IVO breaker

Wayne Lanza reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:59:11 -0500

Hi John,
  The poly switch resets itself when the power is removed. Depending
upon the way
it is wired in your airplane it might be tripping at the end of travel
and self resetting
without your knowing. This is one of my major reservations with a poly
switch, now
consider that when it finally fails you will either loose control of
the prop or it will
hard fuse and you will have no protection. I am familiar with the
physics of this type
of semiconductor and feel it appropriate as an overload protection
device in such
products as an electric tooth brush or screw driver - not anything
critical! This is as
kind as I will be regarding the use of a poly switch in an aircraft.
Nuff said...
  The reason that some guys find the breaker popped is because Ivo
recommends
using a 15A breaker which is OK, but if you keep the switch depressed
too long after
end of travel the current will increase to over 20A thus tripping the
breaker. The real
answer here is not a larger breaker but proper use of the prop control.

-Which brings up your next question-

  To monitor end travel you could employ a current sensing shunt on the
prop supply
wire (+12V). With the addition of a detector circuit on the shunt, you
could have a
light come on when the current exceeds the normal run requirements.
This should
be simple to design and would give you the benefit of indicating both
travel limits.

Hope this helps,
Wayne