REFLECTOR:Navaid Auto Pilot

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:13:35 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C40292.23262640

For those of you who have the Navaid autopilot, read on.  The rest of =
you can ignore this note.

After flying my Velocity for a year, I decided to try to improve the =
operation of my Navaid autopilot.

It has been working great in wing leveler mode - but I haven't been real =
happy with they way it tracked the GPS signals via the Porcine coupler.  =
(I had already had the Porcine chip replaced because they had problems =
with the aviation data stream that comes out of panel mounted GPS's)

I finally figured it out (after reading the manuals again - for the 10th =
time!)

I had "jinked" the servo for the correct trim position. The Navaid's =
left hand knob is used to trim the plane for level flight, the right =
hand knob is used to make turns.

I repeat "left hand knob is used to trim the plane for level flight, the =
right hand knob is used to make turns."  If you are trying to fly =
straight and level, DO NOT USE the right hand knob - use the trim =
knob!!!=20

When putting the Navaid in track mode - make sure the right hand knob is =
straight up.  The trim knob is in what ever position is required to =
maintain straight ahead flight.  Then after engaging track mode, use the =
trim knob to put the plane on course if the Navaid is not tracking the =
course as desired.  This last sentence is critically important to =
getting good tracking performance.  I used to cuss the Navaid because it =
didn't seem to be holding the correct track.  If you use the trim knob =
to establish the plane on track, it tracks PERFECTLY!!!!

A HAPPY NAVAID USER!=20
Ronnie Brown

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C40292.23262640

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>For those of you who have the Navaid autopilot, read =
on.&nbsp;=20
The rest of you can ignore this note.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>After flying my Velocity for a year, I decided to =
try to=20
improve the operation of my Navaid autopilot.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It has been working great in wing leveler mode - but =
I haven't=20
been real happy with they way it tracked the GPS signals via the Porcine =

coupler.&nbsp; (I had already had the Porcine chip replaced because they =
had=20
problems with the aviation data stream that comes out of panel mounted=20
GPS's)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I finally figured it out (after reading the manuals =
again -=20
for the 10th time!)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I had "jinked" the servo for the correct trim=20
position.&nbsp;The Navaid's left hand knob is used to trim the plane for =
level=20
flight, the right hand knob is used to make turns.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I repeat "left hand knob is used to trim the plane =
for level=20
flight, the right hand knob is used to make turns."&nbsp;&nbsp;If you =
are trying=20
to fly straight and level, DO NOT USE the right hand knob - use the trim =
knob!!!=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>When putting the Navaid in track mode&nbsp;- make =
sure the=20
right hand knob is straight up.&nbsp; The trim knob is in what ever =
position is=20
required to maintain straight ahead flight.&nbsp; Then after engaging =
track=20
mode, use the trim knob to put the plane on course if the Navaid is not =
tracking=20
the course as desired.&nbsp; This last sentence is critically important =
to=20
getting good tracking performance.&nbsp; I used to cuss the Navaid =
because it=20
didn't seem to be holding the correct track.&nbsp; If you use the trim =
knob=20
to&nbsp;establish the plane on track, it tracks =
PERFECTLY!!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>A HAPPY NAVAID USER! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie Brown</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C40292.23262640--