REFLECTOR: Rudder flutter, winglet failure ....

KeithHallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Wed Jun 30 00:08:11 CDT 2004

Jim,

Yes, that was the first design of the wing & winglet imported from Brazil.
I am using the 2nd Generation winglet design on my plane.  The first design
had no spars or ribs or other internal structure in the winglets, so I use
the term "design" rather loosely.  Those winglets had inadequate torsional
stiffness.  Velocity hired an actual aeronautical engineer to redesign the
premolded skin & rib winglet, and replaced all the other 1st Generation
winglets with the 2nd Gen design before any of them flew.

The Brazilian subcontractor who made the premolded skin & rib wings and
winglets is now out of the picture.  I asked Scott Baker about it at the
Golden West Fly-In last weekend, and he confirmed that all Velocity wing
production is now foam-core.

Keith Hallsten