REFLECTOR: Rudder flutter, winglet failure ....

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Tue Jun 29 22:28:30 CDT 2004

A while back I seem to recall some discussion about rudder flutter.  I
was not close to the issue since the event was "before my time" in the
Velocity world.  I seem to recall a new (ribbed and skinned?) wing and
rudder flutter on first flight (by a Velocity test pilot / instructor?)
that barely made it back to the field, ended up inverted in the grass,
lucky as hell to be alive.

Can someone help me out on the facts here?  I'm very murky on the whole
thing, and probably clueless on specifics.

Anyone recall the event and what /actually /happened? .... Jim S.