REFLECTOR: From IVO

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Mon Jun 28 19:45:26 CDT 2004

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: From IVO

Unfortunately, a spring damper would introduce its own harmonic envelope

and might get you INTO a lot more trouble than it gets you OUT OF.

Just a theory .... Jim S.

Yeah; it's resonance frequencies that break things.  Putting in a spring
doesn't absorb any energy, but it does 'soften' the system, thereby lowering
the frequency of any resonance that may occur.  If it lowers it out of the
operating range you're home free.  If the resonance was initially out of the
high end of the range, things could get worse. The spring systems on vehicle
clutches serve keep resonance below the operating range.

Al