REFLECTOR: From IVO

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Jun 28 14:03:47 CDT 2004

What about some sort of mechanism like what is found on clutch plates?
It's very lightweight, and couples several hundreds(for trucks) of
horsepower through four or so springs from the splined transmission shaft to
the clutch pads.

Slip it in between a standard SAE ARP502 prop pad, and the corresponding
prop.

Don't need the pads.  I'll bet the one from my Dodge weighs less than five
lbs with the pads.
At least there would be no heat (not much anyway), because this wouldn't be
a damper (like a fluid filled shock absorber).

Only thing is that the automotive design is strictly shear.  A prop design
would have to handle thrust loads, which would require a thrust bearing if
one wanted to keep the friction temperatures down.