REFLECTOR: Put'n the top on

Joe jewen at comporium.net
Fri Jun 25 22:06:27 CDT 2004

MessageAndy,
I believe I read this one in a reflector volume.  To help keep the top and bottom in alignment I used the following homemade clamps:

Cut 1 X 2 blocks 5 to 6 inches long.
In 1/2 of the blocks drill a 3/16 hole in the center.
Put a 2" sheet rock screw through the hole and start the screw into the undrilled block.

Place these clamps between the top and bottom, tighten with a screw gun.  They tighten up and bring the upper and lower half into alignment.  I laid out where the fuselage would be cut away (door, canard, strake/baggage area) and concentrated the clamps in those places avoiding putting clamps where the glass needs to go to join the upper and lower.

I then dust taped the outside seam of the fuselage, filled the inside seam with micro balloon and covered with the 2 Fine BID.  After this cured I removed the tape and filled any voids on the outside with Micro Balloon and applied the outer lay-up.  The lay-ups were done by prewetting the glass on plastic then trimming to size and installing.  Peel ply was used as well.  This procedure worked pretty well for me.

I will wish you luck joining you upper and lower, if you wish me luck putting my first strake top on tomorrow morning.

Joe