REFLECTOR: Engine Selection

Jeff Barnes jcbarnes411 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 19 19:04:36 CDT 2004

Hi Folks,

        I haven't read every post on the DH, but can say I saw it fly
about a month ago at Racine WI and went thru the shop presentation for
the 2nd time in 2 or 3 years.

        On takeoff gets 100 more static RPM than its 200hp counterpart
with same prop, gets off quicker. Flys faster TAS at 8000++, much
cheaper (except for what you'll want to spend on oxygen). And maybe I
exagerate, but looks like engine only has about 35 major parts. I got
pictures, but I'm sure we'll all see it a OSH this year.

        Made me wish I had a STD or 173 in the garage instead of the XL,
given the price of gas these days. Except that by the time I'm ready to
mount engine DH will probaably have their 300hp ready. BUT with one
flying TurboDeisel they're staring at huge demand from non-experimental
aircraft quarters and may not get around to the larger engine for a
while.

        I hope they'll be able to move along and do a 260-300hp without
getting pulled under by their success, which will be astounding.

        Don't anybody lose any money betting against Deltahawk.

        Congratulations to Doug, Diane and JP.

Best Regards,
Jeff Barnes