REFLECTOR: Engine Selection

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Wed Jun 16 23:52:02 CDT 2004

There are a couple of turbo 13Bs flying in Cozys.  They expect upwards
of 250 hp and the turbo does wonders on the exhaust bark and damaging
exhaust pulse.

There is now a 2.83:1 redrive available from Tracy Crook that would
enable you to run the 13B at over 7500 rpm (v. 6000 or so) and increase
whatever you had at 6000 (maybe 180 hp with street porting) by 25% or
so.  That's about 220-230.  8000 rpm gives you 240 or so.  8000/2.85 =
2800 rpm at the prop.

A brand spanking factory new 240 NA hp Renesis (sp?) engine, set up by
Bruce Turentine can be had for about the same money as a 20B that you
don't know where it's been and you can readily get parts for the Renesis.

I'm planning to start with an NA 13B giving about 220 hp at 7500 rpm
(below 10,000 rpm the engine doesn't care a whit how fast it's running)
with the 2.85 PSRU, and then work toward turbo charging.

But that's just me .... Jim S.