REFLECTOR: Engine Selection

KeithHallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Tue Jun 15 22:24:41 CDT 2004

Joe,

It depends on your situation and your personal set of values.  WHY are you leaning toward the rotary?  Cost saving?  Lighter weight?  More horsepower?  Parts availability?  Experience with the engine?  Build time?  Reliability?  "Gee whiz factor?"  Fuel specifics?  etc, etc.  All aircraft design decisions, and especially engine selection, are compromises.  You need to evaluate the whole constellation of features, not just a few of them, to make the most appropriate decision FOR YOU.  It's unrealistic to think you can get meaningful advice from others who don't know how you plan to operate the plane.

Keith Hallsten
XLFG with IO-540-D