REFLECTOR: Fuel Strakes Repair

Greg Poole gpoole at zeta.org.au
Thu Jun 10 18:00:53 CDT 2004

Ronnie is right Richard, fibreglass (once you get the hang of it) is
emminently repairable. Your ending comment leaves me a little uneasy
however: -

From: "Richard J. Gentil" <richard at naples-air-center.com>
> I think I am going to just do the repair and see if it is airtight. If
not, then I will
> look at removing and starting over.

If you are going to go with the repair (and it seems this is the
recommendation of all that have commented) then do it properly from the word
"go".  If you have a leak there is no need to dump everything and begin the
laborious and expensive task of starting over - heaps of builders build
their strakes and find leaks which they then fix satisfactorily.

If you are not familiar with using fibreglass or comfortable with tackling
the jigsaw Travis unfortunately left, take the good advice of Brendon and
Duane and find somebody who is and by the time you and they finish the
repair together, you will likely be well on your way to becoming a
fibreglass master craftsman (yes - really!).

It is important that you list the steps that you must take to be able to
properly access the areas you will need to lay up (both sides). Once you do
this the job should appear much easier to accomplish. One step at a
time......(I keep telling myself!)

Greg in Sydney.