REFLECTOR:Old Standard Velocity Fuel Strakes.

Pat Shea reflector@tvbf.org
Thu Jun 10 01:55:51 CDT 2004

Hi Richard,

 Unless you have some very specific needs (extra fuel
capacity, plan on using a type of fuel that isn't
compatible w/ your current strake epoxy, etc.), it
would probably be A LOT easier to just repair that
strake. It takes many fist-time/part-time builders six
months and/or 500 hours to completely build their
strakes from scratch. You'd be starting behind that
since you'd need to remove the old strakes (without
damaging the spar) and then repair the fuselage before
starting the new strakes.
 I'm not aware of any material strake design
improvements (like fuel capacity or speed) that would
warrant a strakectomy.
 Another consideration is the construction quality of
your current strakes. You probably have pictures of
your strakes prior to closure. I would compare those
to other builders' pics from the net (see links on the
factory's website @ www.velocityaircraft.com). If
you're still comfortable with your strakes after that,
I wouldn't even think about rebuilding them. Call
Scott Baker or Scott Swing at the factory on the
repair - they've seen it all and should be able to
walk you through it. Be sure to talk to one of them
before you decide to go the replacement route.

Good luck, Pat Shea XLRG

--- "Richard J. Gentil"