REFLECTOR:Pitch Trim Spring

Dave Nelson reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:13:03 -0500

I've actually had quite a bit of fun getting a satisfactory pitch trim
system up and running on my velocity STD-RG.  The situation is as follows...

First, I started out with the standard "per plans" installation of the
fiberglass spring mounted with the loop at the top.  After a few years of
financial recovery from building the airplane, and because I'd earned my IFR
in my Velocity, I treated myself to an upgraded panel (the Apollo
stack -very nice!).  There were clearance problems with the per-plans pitch
system, so I wound up reversing the fiberglass spring by putting the loop at
the bottom.  This created enough clearance for the radios but had inadequate
pitch trim authority in one direction.  I tried beefing up the fiberglass
spring with more bid and even carbon fiber, but in the end the trim
authority was (a) inadequate for pitch up trimming, and (b) non-linear in
response.  So, last winter, I went to the effort of replacing it with a
whole new system.

Working with Alex Strong, we came up with a modification of his pitch trim
system design, which is pretty much standard in Cozys and Long-ez nowadays.
The new system mounts in my center section counsul (remember, STD-rg), and
attaches to the bottom of the stick from aft of the stick. After about 35
hours, I can report it works very well.

I plan to write this up for Velocity Views (and the newsgroup) if anyone is
interested.  If you can't wait for details, just drop me a line.

Dave