REFLECTOR:Confession Week!!!

Jack Sheehan reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 15:23:38 -0400

--============_-1126004651==_ma============

OK ! So as I said last week I was not ready to confess but then I
went out and did something this weekend which did not cause any
damage but was surely in the stupid category.
I took a weekend trip to Cat Island in the Bahamas. I landed at
Hawk's Nest. Great place to relax fish swim etc. Hotel and marina and
airport all in one. The airport runway was supposed to be asphalt
except it was under renovation to be re-paved. I had asked about the
runway and was told it was smooth scraped coral. 9I did not really
know what that meant) I asked if that meant gravel and was given an
answer that it was smooth and King Airs etc were using it. I knew
this did not sound good for a pusher but decided to go I figured one
landing and takeoff was probably not as bad as some of the crumbling
strips I use in the states. ( Say Sebastian)
Well I took a low pass and the runway did look smooth and there were
a dozen or so airplanes parked there. So I land holding the nose off
as long as possible. The compact coral is like a gazzilion small
pebbles as opposed to the sand I was expecting.
Thinking about the departure. I had recently applied a clear tape to
the leading edge of the MT prop just to see how it might hold up
since my own airport is not all that good. It worked for a little
while so maybe the prop protection stuff they sell is a good idea? So
now for my departure I decide to protect the prop by covering the
outer half of each blade with white duct tape which seem like pretty
tough stuff and really sticky. I figured as long as each blade got
the same tape job the balance would be OK.
Now comes the stupid part ( as if I did not already fall in that
category) I really did not think the tape which was applied pretty
smoothly to the blades would have a big effect on performance.
(Wrong). As I started the take off roll on this 4600 foot runway (sea
level hot day) DA was no more that 1500 ', the acceleration was
sluggish. As I started down the runway I was trying to get the nose
wheel up as soon as possible and things seemed slow. There are no
markings so you can only guess about distance but I knew I was well
beyond my normal lift off distance. After using about 3000 feet The
airspeed was now getting up to 75 knots and I could start to think
about flying I was also thinking about stopping but that would mean
another attempt and much pebble damage. I was light on fuel and only
one passenger and the airplane was behaving like it was way over
gross. I got off with only a 300-400 FPM climb rate, got the gear up
and could barely climb at 100 knots. Leveling off at 1000 feet I
could only do about 140 knots indicated at full power. I would
normally be able to indicate about 180.
I flew for about 45 minutes over to North Eluthera where I had to
land to clear customs and intended to remove the tape only to find it
was almost all gone but even the sticky residue and some tape that
was left affected the performance.
The tape did protect the prop but it could have been ugly if that
runway had been shorter. I am sure the performance degradation was
caused by the tape coming off and changing the aerodynamics of the
prop. You would think an aeronautical engineer would have known that
(I are one) I guess I thought the tape was going to stay stuck.
Not too bright!!!
Jack
N55XL
PS
When they get the runway paved ( 2-3 weeks) this is a great
destination you can check it out on the web
http://www.hawks-nest.com
--============_-1126004651==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
 --></style><title>RE: REFLECTOR:Confession
confess but then I went out and did something this weekend which did
not cause any damage but was surely in the stupid
category.</font></div>
Bahamas. I landed at Hawk's Nest. Great place to relax fish swim etc.
Hotel and marina and airport all in one. The airport runway was
supposed to be asphalt except it was under renovation to be re-paved.
I had asked about the runway and was told it was smooth scraped coral.
9I did not really know what that meant) I asked if that meant gravel
and was given an answer that it was smooth and King Airs etc were
using it. I knew this did not sound good for a pusher but decided to
go I figured one landing and takeoff was probably not as bad as some
of the crumbling strips I use in the states. ( Say
Sebastian)</font></div>
smooth and there were a dozen or so airplanes parked there. So I land
holding the nose off as long as possible. The compact coral is like a
gazzilion small pebbles as opposed to the sand I was
expecting.</font></div>
applied a clear tape to the leading edge of the MT prop just to see
how it might hold up since my own airport is not all that good. It
worked for a little while so maybe the prop protection stuff they sell
is a good idea? So now for my departure I decide to protect the prop
by covering the outer half of each blade with white duct tape which
seem like pretty tough stuff and really sticky. I figured as long as
each blade got the same tape job the balance would be OK.</font></div>
[...]
able to indicate about 180.</font></div>
Eluthera where I had to land to clear customs and intended to remove
the tape only to find it was almost all gone but even the sticky
residue and some tape that was left affected the
performance.</font></div>
been ugly if that runway had been shorter. I am sure the performance
degradation was caused by the tape coming off and changing the
aerodynamics of the prop. You would think an aeronautical engineer
would have known that (I are one) I guess I thought the tape was going
to stay stuck.</font></div>
is a great destination you can check it out on the web</font></div>