REFLECTOR:Confession Week!!!

Milton Merskey reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:33:44 -0500

I was going to tell about the time two mechanics were on the wing at the
trailing edge when the plane went over backwards and a tip of the
performance prop was split but I will not say anything after reading about a
rug in the prop.

milt

----- Original Message -----
From: <Tstockmn@aol.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2004 9:24 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Confession Week!!!

> In addition to the usual takeoffs with the speed brake down (I told the
passenger it was a defense against bird strikes) or the accidental bumping
of a mag switch, I did something more expensive early on.   I was not too
pleased with the static RPM at run up, so was trouble shooting if it was the
engine, performance prop or both.   I had just finished retiming the engine,
so decided to do a static run up in front of the hangar.  I picked up all
the tools, etc and cleared the area.   I started the engine and then slowly
pushed the throttle forward.   At about 2200 RPM, there was loud !WUMP-WUMP!
and the plane shook.   I immediatly pulled the mixture, throttle and killed
the mags. I was rewarded with a shower of thousands of pieces of rug yarn.
I had forgotten to pick up a rug in front of the plane and it was sucked
into the prop.  One prop blade went through the roof, another shot down the
taxiway and the third was never found.   All that was left was the hub.    I
now hav!
>  e a $2000 "sculpture" on my fireplace mantle to remind me of the event.
Unfortunately, it made a rather loud noise which attracted everyone at the
airport.   I also won the award at our annual airport banquet for the
dumbest stunt of the year.