REFLECTOR: Flight plan code for Veocity

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Jul 21 10:22:44 CDT 2004

I know you directed this at Kurt, but thought I'd chime in having worked as
a radar rat before.

I've been out of the "business" for over 10 years now but I don't think
pilot behavior has changed all that much.  At least it sounds like it
hasn't from my point of view from the cockpit.

Controllers come in all kinds also.  I worked with guys(girls included)
that would not work vfr traffic unless forced to.  Luckily I was trained by
an old pilot/controller who worked as much traffic as he could, vfr or ifr,
so I also would work any and all traffic that called on the radio unless I
was really swamped.

Problems with the Dinks(you and I!),

Radio communications was the biggest problem, mainly phraseology and
running off at the mouth.  The problem as I saw it was the pilot didn't
formulate what he needed to say before he keyed the microphone and thus
stumbled all over the place.  A good rule of thumb is figure out what your
going to say first, then say as little as possible.

Another problem was pilots not "doing what they say, or saying what they
do".    An example is telling the controller your going to  Denver, but
failing to mention your going by Pueblo to show a passenger the sights.  A
while later he is then surprised to see your going 90 degrees off
course!  If you had said "going to Denver via Pueblo"  no problem, but you
didn't so now he doesn't trust you.  Controllers don't like suprises like
that and the whole game is based on trust.  Break the trust and your
terminated.

I'm mainly talking about GA VFR traffic here, IFR traffic is generally
better though there are even GA IFR pilots who paint the whole GA fleet in
a bad light.

All that said, I recommend every body to ask for flight following,  if your
flying outside your airport's area. Always when flying cross country.   Its
the best insurance  against problems you'll ever get.  An order of
magnitude better than filing a vfr flight plan.  ATC is there to help in
any way you need it, weather, equipment, whatever.  If your talking to ATC
and tell them you have a problem,  the decks are cleared are you are Numero
Uno.

Flowing heavy traffic into an approach is a gas and most controllers get a
real sense of accomplishment doing that, but nothing compares to helping
out a pilot in need.

Scott