REFLECTOR: Re: Elevator Balancing

KeithHallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Tue Jul 20 23:43:46 CDT 2004

Bob,

I was trying to balance my elevators today.  I have the standard outboard weights, and 1½ of the inboard weights on either side in the center of the concentric elevator torque tube assembly.  It's not enough.  I tried turning the center weights large-end forward, but the elevators still droop, and they're not painted yet.  I have the Brazillian bonded canard and elevators a' la Bob I.  I suspect they used a little too much adhesive in the trailing edge when they bonded the elevators together.  Did you find something similar?  How did you go about adding more weight, if it was necessary?  I'm beginning to think I'll have to cast my own weights to get enough weight far enough forward.

Keith Hallsten, on the slow build in Lincoln, CA
.