REFLECTOR: Re: REFLECTOR Competition

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Mon Jul 19 19:12:39 CDT 2004

Two short stories about the time it takes to build a Velocity ...
#1 - A close friend and builder of his own Velocity aircraft would often be
approached at air shows by aircraft builders who were still working on their
projects.  Inevitably these builders would say, "I like (a feature on my
friend's aircraft), but I'm gonna do (this or that - sometimes for
one-upmanship, sometimes to make 'improvements') on mine".  My friend
quickly grew tired of all the talk and would say, "Yeah, yeah, yeah ... tell
me after you're done and flying.  Until then, don't bother me."  To him
there are "dreamers" and "doers" - and he obviously had more patience for
folks who pushed to fulfill their dreams in the form of a finished aircraft,
rather than for folks who were always "dreaming" and never "doing".
#2 - I was conducting a tour of the Velocity factory and Service Center
recently to an enthusiastic couple.  While walking between buildings the
husband asked, "How long does it take to complete work on a Velocity?"  I
half jokingly said, "That depends on your profession.  If you are a Rough
Carpenter, you'll be finished within a year.  And if you're an Engineer,
you'll never finish because you'll spend 8-hours studying and planning for
each 5-minute job".  You guessed it, he was an engineer.  He laughed and
said, "You're right ... I guess it's in the blood."
There is, of course, a happy medium.  Some people enjoy the endless
possibilities of making changes and "improvements".  These folks should not
complain or get down on themselves when the job takes a long time.
I've seen others who feel that they "must" make custom changes - not because
of a demonstrated need - or even because they "want to" - it's as if some
unknown force is affecting them, compelling them, to make changes.  These
people become frustrated when the job takes longer than expected.
I think there is a strong element of wisdom to what Lynn has to say.
If the goal is to finish and fly - then get out there and do a little
something every day.  If you are thinking of making changes, realize that
this adds to the building time - and that quite often, one "little" change
affects other areas - which then requires changes to accommodate the first
change (domino effect).  Do yourself a favor and ask, "Is this change really
necessary?"
If so - be true to yourself and proceed.  If not, why not save some (or a
lot) of time and "pass".  Some of the best examples of Velocity workmanship
involve simple, straightforward design features.  It doesn't have to be
complicated to be "done right".
If you're a person who enjoys building - perhaps more than flying - then the
journey is the destination.  Have fun!  And save a hot tub seat for me!
Scott B.