REFLECTOR: LIGHTWEIGHT ALTERNATOR

Ronnie Brown romott at adelphia.net
Mon Jul 19 13:22:40 CDT 2004

Check and make sure you indeed have field voltage (12v) going to the alternator F connection, with the engine off, but the electrics powered up.  The big terminal should be showing battery voltage as well.

When you crank it up, the electrical bus should be above 13.5 volts if the alternator is indeed working.  As the battery charges up, the voltage will go to about 14.2 vdc, and the alternator will pretty much quit charging except for any loads you have running (lights, etc).

If not, then start checking connections and find out what is not connected correctly.

Ronnie