REFLECTOR: Product report

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 19 12:17:54 CDT 2004

Hello all,

I thought I would pass this on.  My friend Ron had brought over some
grooved nylon rollers when I first started the project.  They are great
for getting the bubbles out of the glass.  They also make laying down
the peel-ply a lot easier.  The only problem with rollers is that you
need to remember to clean them in acetone after you're done.  The don't
work as well with a cured flat side to them.  :)

I ordered a new set of rollers last week.  I got them from
http://www.bodico.com/rollers.htm  They don't have online ordering, but
they were very friendly on the phone and prompt on delivery.

I ordered the 3/8" x 3" detail roller and the 1" x 3", 15" radius
roller.  Kinda wished I had also ordered the 1/2" x 3" detail roller but
that is such a small nit that I probably shouldn't mention it.

The standard rollers have a very large handle.  About the same size you
would get with the standard paint roller.  Very comfortable.  Their
econo rollers have a smaller handle.

They have aluminum and plastic heads.  They said there is no real
difference in the performance and is therefore a matter of personal
preference.  I have used both, and cannot tell the difference.  They
both hold up well in the acetone for the post lay-up soak.

Now the report:

THIS IS CHEATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used both rollers this weekend.  Wow!!!  The radius roller is now
essential for working inside the fuselage.  The roller excels on concave
surfaces and the inside of the fuselage is nothing but concave.  The
thing is just fantastic.  It was great at getting the bubbles out of the
lay-up.  Didn't pull the glass away.  It worked great for rolling on the
peel ply as well.  After trying it out, I wouldn't work glass again
without one.

Anyway, I just thought I would pass it on.

FYI,

Andy