REFLECTOR: Gear Collapse

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Sun Jul 18 19:17:50 CDT 2004

This aircraft has had a string of gear extension problems.  On this flight
the owner was flying the leg with the gear down - performed a (night)
landing, and the main gear collapsed.  The owner stated that he did not have
a green light and that the gear warning horn was activated when he made the
landing.  Before landing he performed a visual inspection of the main gear
over-center mechanism (through a small window in the rear bulkhead) and
believed the gear to be safe.  Pilot and passenger are fine.  They lifted
one wing, then the other to extend the gear - and rolled the aircraft off
the runway at Savannah.  The prop is 'toothpicks'.  Some abrasion to the
underside - near the firewall (the nose gear remained extended during the
landing).  We (Scott Swing and I) expect to retrieve the aircraft and fly it
to the Velocity Service Center later on this week for repairs.
Still, the root of the landing gear problem remains undiagnosed.