REFLECTOR: From IVO

Wayne wowens at darientel.net
Sun Jul 18 08:57:15 CDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Balic" <alex157 at direcway.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2004 12:22 AM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: From IVO

> Actually the springs are a factor in the clutch when it is engaged- they
are
> what presses the pressure plate  (containing the leaf springs) against
> clutch disk (friction surface)

The other springs that we might be talking about here are the small coil
> spring dampers located on the clutch disk that actually transmit the power
> through the disk to the spline section. your clutch will usually lock up
if
> one of these breaks or falls out.

These dampers are the ones that transmit torque and may contribure to
torsional vibration during partial engagement of the clutch. Do they remain
effective after the disk is fully engaged?

 On my redrive (Marcotte type from
> Crossflow) there is no clutch, but the flywheel is attached to the input
> shaft with  the spring damper arrangement- I have seen some urethane
dampers
> used also,but they probably can't take any appreciable heat.

Even Marcotte gave up on urethane after we tried several compounds. He
thinks the RPM also tore them up.

I wouldn't think that any damping would be needed with the electric
motor-like
> smoothness of the flat Subaru 6,

You Eggenfeller and I are coming to the same conclusion
 that the springs arent necessary.

but they won't hurt anything-
They might contribute to the resonance I'm detecting but it may be
turbulence  hitting my prob from my pregnant guppy cooling  arrangement.
I would bet
> that Crossflow would sell the flywheel as a separate piece, but would only
> work with a corresponding bell housing, spline section, and starter.....

I am turning a coupling  to match my Marcotte and utilizing his splined
shaft. A Soob 4 cyl flywheel fits just fine. it may be too heavy though.