REFLECTOR: new electronic ign.

Jim Agnew jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 17 22:11:00 CDT 2004

Scott,

I have Bendix high altitude mags on my IO-360 and if you
turn the prop by hand the impulse coupled mag will throw a
3/4-1" spark so I doubt if .035" would bother them.

On AA Fuel dragsters the cylinders are filled with an
almost liquid mixture and they use mags to fire it!! and at
10K+ RPM.  The problem with mags is their lack of automatic
spark advance that gives the electronic ignitions an
advantage.  They solved this in cars in the 40s so this
isn't exactly a new development.

BTW it is said that the mags on those dragsters at top RPMs
produce a spark of 42 AMPS so if you think that mags have a
weak spark at high rpms you are wrong.  The mag output is
weak at low rpms and increases as rpms increase.

Jim