REFLECTOR: new electronic ign.

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Jul 17 20:39:19 CDT 2004

WHile there may be mags with a good spark, you won't find one on an
airplane.   THe spark is absolutly lousy.

I gap the plugs on my one slick mag at 18, I gap my plugs on my lightspeed
at 35.  Hmmm.. WHy?  Reason is the mags are so weak any larger gap will
just arc across the points in the mag instead of the plug.  The lightspeed
on the other hand has a very hot spark that can jum the 35 gap with ease.

I can run my engine on one mag and loose, minimum 25% power, closer to
35%, I can run on the lightspeed and loose at the most 10%, probably
closer to 5%.

WHen I do a mag check I drop 75 rpm when running on the mag, I drop less
than 10 rpm when shutting the mag off.

Mags suck in all respects except one, they don't need any external power.

Mags fail all the time and have very short lives. The TBF for a well
designd EI is longer than the life of the plane.

Scott