REFLECTOR: new electronic ign.

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Fri Jul 16 23:52:54 CDT 2004

<... continue ignition when electrical power fails ...>
That *was* a very important consideration - in the '20s and '30s and
clear into the '50s and '60s when electrical power was provided with
generators with a service life of 100-400 hrs and early lead acid
batteries with minimal capacity. A *lot* has changed since 1950 - sadly,
none of the changes happened at or affected Lycoming or Continental.
They finally adapted early 70s automotive alternators, and I guess (key
word here) that you're allowed to put a modern battery in your spam can.
Today's alternators and batteries have a *much* longer service life than
the generators. The average electronic ignition unit will out last a mag
by an order of magnitude.

Try and remember: you do not have two mags because they give better
ignition that way - they give lousy ignition the day you install them,
and go downhill from there. You have two mags because one of them is
*certain* to fail. One electronic unit provides better ignition (saves a
reported up to 10% fuel) than two mags. Replace one of the mags with an
electronic unit that costs less than a mag and lasts 10 times as long,
and let it pay for itself in fuel savings in 500 hrs or so.

I see no sense in building a cutting edge airplane and power it with
80-year-old technology ... Jim S.