REFLECTOR: Speed Brake

Hiroo Umeno humeno at microsoft.com
Wed Jul 14 15:19:49 CDT 2004

This thread reminds me of some "philosophical" decision I had to make in
planning the systems for my plane.

As a self-confessed gadget freak, I put my fair share of technology into
my cockpit.  A lot of the systems have fairly high levels of integration
where information from many source are aggregated, tracked and presented
in a form that is meant to reduce confusion and error.

Where I drew the line was "who pushes the button".  In other words, none
of the gadgets in my airplane ultimately "push the button" for me.
Throttle, mixture, prop pitch, flight controls, radio switching,
external and internal lighting, fuel pump, speed brake, pitch trim, etc.
The gadgets give me the data but I am still in the loop to make the
decision to make the plane do what I think needs to be done.  I have
considered putting in systems like automated pitot and carb heat, fuel
pump control, etc but decided against it.

I think the similar philosophical difference can be seen between Boeing
and Airbus designs.  Boeing takes the approach where it leaves the
ultimate decision making to the pilots who flies the plane where Airbus
can override the pilot actions and does what the airplane thinks is
right.  You might have seen a video of an Airbus plowing into the woods
in landing attitude.  It happened at an airshow where the pilot intended
to do a low and slow fly-over and go around.  The plane insisted on
continuing landing into the bush.

I worked in the technology industry long enough not to trust it with the
final decision<g>.

Hiroo