REFLECTOR: Speed Brake

Joe jewen at comporium.net
Wed Jul 14 11:56:56 CDT 2004

Good suggestion, Christopher.  Your comments made me consider how to take it past the an alarm and to automate the retraction under this set of conditions.  Routing the input that would be used for an alarm (i.e.. micro switch, hall effect, or prox sensor on the throttle linkage) to a DPDT relay could facilitate both an alarm and an automatic retraction of the speed brake.  1 of the DPDT poles would be used to trigger the alarm, the COM contact of the second pole is connected to the CB for the speed brake, the NC relay contact is connected to the COM of the speed brake switch, and the NO contact to the retract side of the speed brake actuator.  When no alarm condition exists the speed brake switch will control normally, if the alarm/relay is triggered the actuator is powered to retract and when retracted the internal switch turns power off to the motor.  When the throttle is retarded out of the alarm range, the speed brake switch regains functionality.

I hope I remember this when I start wiring my AC.

Joe