REFLECTOR: Aileron Stiffness

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Jul 13 21:57:11 CDT 2004

Figuring out where the stiffness is, is fairly easy.  Its a process of
eliminating where it is not.

First disconnect the cable ends from the aileron torque tubes in the engine
compartment.  Do one at a time and see if the resistance in the stick is
still there. Do the Ailerons swing freely?  If not you've found it.

Do you still have the stiffness with the Ailerons disconnected?  If not,
the problem is probably misalignment of the cable mount/clamp and the ears
on the torque tube.

If your stick is still stiff, no this is not XXX rated!  The most likely
problem is misalignment of one or both of the cables to the center torque
tube mount behind the front seats.  Disconnect one cable from the center
torque tube and then the other testing the resistance on the stick.  If it
is still very stiff with both cable disconnected the problem is in the
torque tube assembly in the keel.

Some times a cable will get kinked during installation and there is no way
to fix this except by replacing the cable as far as I know.

Scott