REFLECTOR: Speed Brake

jack davis n767sd at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 13 20:34:51 CDT 2004

I agree with Dan.  I installed one on my airplane (Std Elite RG), but after
flying for a couple hundred hours, I've realized it is not needed,
especially if you are planning on putting a constant speed prop on the plane
(big drag brake).

Also, I have found that there really isn't any rocks being thrown up by the
front tire, particularly since it is bald.  If you get any dings in your
prop, it is almost surely from some bolt, nut, washer, or something that
comes off the airplane.  A light "sand blasting" on the prop is all you get
from any loose gravel on the ramp or runway.

At least that has been my experience (I have about 500 hours on my Velocity
now and I've run both the Performance Prop and the MT).

Jack