REFLECTOR: Speed Brake

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Jul 12 16:07:01 CDT 2004

I have a Std RG with a speed brake.

It is not used to slow the plane down to gear speed. I beleive the
extension speed on mine is 110 knots, 10 knots below gear extension speed.
 Maybe the XL brake has a higher extension speed?

I dissagree with most in that I find it very usefull and am glad its
there. I use it for almost every landing and always for taxi.

Its actually more of an attitude adjuster and descent brake.  It allows
you to point down another 5 to 10 degrees with no speed increase, the
Velocity doesn't have very good forward visability when landing in my
opinion so this is a big help,  it also can be used to increase your
vertical descent rate by 200/300 fpm, great for those times you a bit
high.  This also helps a lot when doing short field landings.

The speed brake also reduces the landing roll out, if your hot this is a
big help.

The speed brake also protects your prop when taxing.  With a $12,000 MT,
this could save you mucho money!

I'd vote for doing it..

Scott