REFLECTOR: Props and runway surfaces (was XLRG on grass)

HYTEC45 at aol.com HYTEC45 at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 09:44:52 CDT 2004

In a message dated 7/6/2004 8:06:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
davedent at comcast.net writes:
I had a long talk with Catto today.  It was most interesting.  When he gets
back from France he and I are putting together a test.

I flew my STD-RG with a Performance prop for 400 hrs.  Now I have the mt.  I
am no fan of mt.  With my experience flying both on a Velocity, let me share
this (IMHO).

The only need for the constant speed is takeoff; period....  The mt is NOT
the best cruise prop. Once I'm at 100kt +, I would much rather have the
Performance on.  I climb 200fpm less (below 120kts, the same at or above) at most with
the Performance, and actually cruise faster (less blade area in the wind.)  I
burn less fuel with the Performance because I have to pull out about 1" MP to
cruise at 2600rpm, which is 3kt faster than running the mt @ 2600 and full MP
(above 8000ft.).  You guys that like to cruise at rated rpm will probably
burn the same as the mt, but with an additional 3-4kts (I personally like to stay
below rated rpm as turbulence can really bring on the unexpected momentary
rpms.)  I can be assured the fixed pitch will probably still work to fly me home
when I'm far far away.  I would in no way take my mt from Calif to Oshkosh,
again.  Over the 200 hrs I have put on my mt, it has averaged 34 hrs of
operation between failures that put it out of operation, and required dissambly to
repair. If I wanted to go to Oshkosh, I would just put the Performance back on.
I am right now watching signs of separation between the SS leading edge and
the wood blade on two of my blades (yes I have stayed out of the restricted rpm
range), and grease leaking from all three blades after mt "modified" my hub
to prevent grease leaking (had none before modification), and it's return for
re-sealing.

I'm sure Catto can get the most out of the prop in cruise, and an acceptable
climb at speeds higher than Vx & Vy.  If you can push that pig off the line
with a fixed pitch and still maintain a somewhat manageable takeoff distance (at
full gross remember); I'll be in line with a check.  I have heard many good
things regarding the Catto Props, but I don't have one, just the Performance.
With the fixed pitch prop, it's like trying to leave the line in third gear in
our car.  Horse power is directly proportional to RPM.

I have had the S*#T scared out of me with poor takeoff performance of my
Velcoity/Fixed pitch.  That's why I reluctantly moved to the mt.  Anyone who is
flying with a fixed pitch that says they have not had a "pucker factor" or two,
has not been around with there Velocity.  My IO360C has Lycons 10 to 1's and
puts out over 200hp.

I'm very intrested in a mt replacement, and a fixed pitch design would be a
extra bonus.

TEC