REFLECTOR: 2nd Oil Cooler

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Jul 6 23:54:44 CDT 2004

I'm starting to think about how to cool the oil in a TSIO520.

I have the standard nose cooler which is doing the job for my IO360, though
my summer temps have been on the high end of comfort for me.  We took
off  from north Las Vegas yesterday,  the oil temp stabilized at 218-220F
in a 500+ fpm climb from 2200 ft to 11500.  Leveled off and leaned to 50
LOP, temps dropped to 208F for awhile and slowly climbed and stablized at
215F for the rest of the flight back to GNT.  It was really hot at
11500,  about 60F !!  A very strong inversion over Vegas, the OAT climbed 5
degrees C from 2200 ft to 8000 ft!!!  In the winter I can barely keep the
temps "up" to 180-185F in cruise.

Back to oil coolers for a TSIO520...

I don't think the single nose cooler will be enough for a turbo'd
520.  Just the addition of cooling the turbo bearings will put me over the
capacity of the nose cooler.

Somebody mentioned the idea of putting an additional oil cooler under the
rear seat and recirculating air in the cabin for heat, and if cabin heat
not needed,  having an air valve to bring in outside air and dump it back
side.  Anybody done this?  Have pictures? Thoughts?  The recirculating of
inside air seems easy enough,  its the air valves for switching to outside
air that have my scratching my head.

With a recirculating heater I think I could remove the nose cooler cabin
heat diverter, which is marginal in really cold winter air.  I think
removing the diverter would increase the air flow through the nose cooler
and make it more effective.

Scott

"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin