REFLECTOR: XLRG on Grass

Greg Poole gpoole at zeta.org.au
Tue Jul 6 15:52:15 CDT 2004

In my experience there are grass strips (finely manicured, high % coverage
and no stones, sand or sticks) and there are grass strips (grass 4" long,
45% coverage, heaps of small to medium stones to vacuum up) so it is hard to
draw comparisons when you only have a couple to draw on.

My experience with Leon Howe's XL (that Dave Dent now has in California) is
that the damage to the 3rd set of MT prop blades (within TT of 40hrs) that
was on the plane (the first was destroyed in a hard landing, the 2nd set
(you saw in my pictures that Dave Black reposted here) lost 6" off two
blades while we were away on a trip, and the 3rd set had very little time
before Mr Dent  bought the aircraft - is that the majority of stone damage
occurred on takeoff, landing and runups on tar.  The XL would likely take
slightly more revs to get rolling on rough surfaces than a Std fuselage -
perhaps that might be another factor involved?

Unfortunately all sets of prop blades looked beaten after just a half dozen
takeoffs and landings. I think our experience backs John Ward's experience
except we might have alot more stones sitting on our asphalt than the US
has. My memory of Sebastian FL aerodrome is one of a similar surface as we
have where Leon's plane operated out of. I know the factory regularly
refinishes the MT prop blades on its' airplanes but do not recall seeing the
same amount of dings for time in use that we experienced.

I'm looking to put deflectors on my mains and nosegear and to use a more
resilient c/s prop than the MT if I can find one ....methinks MT might be
making to much money from repairing blades to bother with putting any effort
into making a stronger, more resilient blade..

Greg in Sydney.