REFLECTOR: Northstar

Joe jewen at comporium.net
Mon Jul 5 21:58:15 CDT 2004

Do any Velocity builders have any experience with the Northstar 4.6L used or considered for an aviation application.  I am trying to determine the feasibility of using one in my 173 RG.  I was looking into an aluminum block 4.3L but have found that the North 4.6L is an all aluminum engine available as a crate engine from GM.  It produces 300+ HP stock.  My biggest questions are availability of a PSRU (have emailed Nortwest aero, but have not received a reply yet) and total installed weight.  I am still looking for the best balance between weight, power, installation time and cost.  Any info / opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe