REFLECTOR: Snake Oil or the Best thing since Orville & Wilbur?

Alex Balic alex157 at direcway.com
Mon Jul 5 16:20:30 CDT 2004

That tape does work- I have seen similar tapes used on competition
sailplanes- the stuff I saw had a built in scallop shape to it (instead of
dimples) that basically acted as a flat set of VGs, but as I remember, you
need to place it in just the right location on the chord to be effective, so
the guy who is selling it (or one of us) needs to do some
experimenting......  I don't know about 15% efficiency increase, that sounds
like a lot, but hell, who knows, somebody get that guy to send out a loaner
and let us know.  I know that a smooth golf ball hardly flies at all, and
that torpedoes intentionally have a rough surface to reduce drag......