REFLECTOR: Lower winglets

KeithHallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Sun Jul 4 18:13:55 CDT 2004

I was preparing to install my lower winglets yesterday, and was thinking about installing them "backwards", so they push the air inboard on the bottom of the wingtip, rather than outboard.  This would be accomplished by installing the left lower winglet under the right wingtip, and vice-versa.  Although this theoretically has the potential to (very slightly) reduce the induced drag, it would not look as good, since the lower and upper winglets would not line up with each other, and the lower winglet would not fair in below the rudder.  On the other hand, the trailing edge of the lower winglet would be inboard of the rudder, so it could be fitted tightly to the wing without interfering with the motion of the rudder.  Has anyone done this?

I suspect that the lower winglets may be so short as to have only a tiny effect due to their "airfoil" shape.  Thus, it may not make any measurable difference.  However, I'm one of those oddball "form follows function" guys who would rather have a plane that looks a little wierd than accept less than "optimal" design.

You may fire when ready!

Keith Hallsten