REFLECTOR: Nosegear Forks

KeithHallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Sun Jul 4 17:56:49 CDT 2004

I got my XLFG kit in late '99.  About a year later, I thought about
smoothing and polishing the nosewheel fork to maximize to maximize its
fatigue strength.  I closely examined the fork, and realized that the
surface finish was the least of the problem, because there was obvious
porosity in the casting.  I decided I would not fly with it.  I shipped it
back to Velocity, and Mark Machado looked it over and pronounced that I had
made a good call, and that he wouldn't fly with it, either.  However, he
said a replacement fork would have to be an upgrade (since they no longer
shipped the old style), and upgrades cost $50!  I thought this was kind of
an odd policy, if there was no dispute that the part was defective, so I
wrote to Duane Swing about it.  Duane wrote back and assured me that I
wouldn't be charged for the replacement fork.  A new-syle fork arrived via
UPS.  So it appears that I got lucky on this whole fork-upgrade matter.

Keith Hallsten