REFLECTOR: Fw: Canard Cover Hinge Pins

Wayne Lanza wlanza at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 3 15:47:18 CDT 2004

Regarding the hinge pin hold down for the canard cover. I did basically
the
same thing when I restored N81VA. Most of the older Velocitys had a hard
mounted canard cover that did not allow panel access without removing
the canard. I decided to change this and simply cut along an existing
paint
line on the cover, and added the hinges. Due to a few existing lumps in
the
glass work and some deformation when pulling the pop rivets, my hinges
were less than straight - hence the pins were too snug for comfort...
To fix
this I filed the ends of the pins to a chisel point and ran them
through the
hinge with my hand drill. There was very little cutting caused by
running the
pin through but enough to facilitate easy insertion after a little
grease was
applied. After a year I have had no binding and do not use a retaining
screw.
My only concern is with water intrusion - I'll keep an eye on that...
If you have
an older Velocity and would like to make this modification, just let me
know
and I will photo the change and forward it, or you can see it at
Oshkosh.

For what it's worth,
Wayne Lanza