REFLECTOR:AERO COMPOSITES PUSHER PROP

KeithHallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Fri Jul 2 16:53:03 CDT 2004

Scott,

The blades of an MT prop are wood (beech near the hub, spruce further out)
with two layers of bid laid up wet over the wood.  The Aerocomposites prop
has several layers of carbon fiber alternating with woven fiberglass tubes
over a foam core.  The epoxy is injected in the mold by vacuum-assisted
resin transfer, which guarantees no voids and complete wet-out.  The epoxy
itself is a special super-tough formulation that can be deflected
significantly without cracking.

The superior toughness of the Aerocomposites prop was proven when a tractor
airplane had a nose-gear collapse on landing.  After a few powerful
propstikes on the runway, the engine quit and the plane skidded to a stop
supported on two blade tips of the 3-blade prop!  I don't remember the
details of this incident, but the image made an impression on me!  Contrast
this with any MT prop that's hit something hard - splinters!

The aerodynamics suuperiority stems mostly from the thinner section that is
possible with the carbon-fiber construction.  It's well dcoumented in
performance increases with tractor aircraft.  See, for example, the
testimonials on the Aerocomposites website.  Although these are anecdotal, I
think you will find a lot of Aerocomposites props on the air race winners
this year.

All that said, I have not yet concluded that I can justify the increased
cost on my plane.

Keith