REFLECTOR: Crossflow Engine

reflector@tvbf.org reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:04:16 -0500

I've been "building with a Crossflow Engine" for almost two and a half years now. The reason for the quotes is because I have yet to see the engine. Except for the lack of computer redundancy, it seems like a pretty good package, but I won't know for sure until they decide to deliver it. I noticed they started advertising in Sport Aviation recently, so they must be serious about selling engines, or at least taking deposits for engines. The closest I ever got to getting mine was when they asked if I "wanted it" about three months ago. So, its sitting in a box on a shelf waiting for me to "want it", or what? I think I pretty much proved that I wanted it when I sent them a deposit. Considering that they were supposed to deliver it two years ago, and they have been very careful ever since not to be put in a position where they might have to explain the delay, I've concluded that they're only in the money collection phase at this time, and were trying to get more without saying that my engine was actually ready for delivery. I told them I'd send them the balance when I had reason to believe they had something to send me. If you want to know something about the engine, my experience has been that they don't answer the phone, but there's a pretty good chance they will answer emails with technical questions. Some of the delay I've experienced seems to be related to some major changes they've made since I placed my order, but I only figured that out by looking at their website over the years. They might have added computer redundancy for all I know, but I do know from a guy who accidentally answered the phone about a year ago, that they designed a new reduction unit.
If anybody talks to them, say hello for me and let them know that I still "want it". In the mean time I think I'll write EAA and let them know that their new sponsor may or may not have a good product, but is really good at taking money.
Doug HayesBoulder COVelocity 173FG (Two years and counting for engine and paint)