REFLECTOR:Fuel Sediment

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:43:31 -0600

Often when I sample the fuel sump I see a few tiny particles in the
gas.  Perhaps this is fiberglass dust which wouldn't be a surprise.
However with 280 hours it seems that any dust from the building process
should have been flushed out by now.  Does anyone else notice this?  I
note in the Owner's Flight Manual it states that "....auto gas
(especially the high aromatic content no-lead) should NEVER be used.
They can dissolve the epoxy in the fuel tanks."  In the 70's when they
began phasing out lead, aromatics were the main octance booster in auto
gas.  Today MTBE is used.  However the 100 LL in the south now contains
aromatics to boost octane.  Is this a problem?  Maybe Scott B can comment.

John