REFLECTOR: Cabin Heating

Jim Sower reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:01:20 -0600

It sounds like most of what we need is already in place.  My 173FG has the front oil
cooler in a plenum.  The input to the plenum is the NACA in the nose, and it exhausts
out the bottom of the plenum.  I have a 2" duct out the back of the plenum going to
the cabin foot warmers (could be larger and go to more places).  As it stands now,
only the (tiny bit of) exhaust from the oil cooler that doesn't go overboard goes into
the heat system.  I aim going to make a flapper valve that can cover either the outlet
to the cabin completely or the overboard opening completely or anything in between.

If it's really cold, I'll block the overboard vent and the only air that passes
through the oil cooler will be whatever the outlet to the cabin will permit.  Air flow
will be much reduced and therefore much hotter.  If I don't need that much heat, I can
crack the overboard vent which will increase flow through the cooler but reduce flow
into the cabin (the rest going over the side).  I can keep venting the overboard vent
more and more until I have the cabin vent blocked and all the air the cooler will pass
going over the side.  One flapper valve, a plenum that's already there, no additional
oil coolers.  I may have to make a new plenum so the flapper will fit between the
cooler and cabin outlet bulkhead and be big enough to cover the overboard vent, but
that's not rocket science.

Limiting air flow to the hot air I need should make for enough delta-T to heat the
cabin, and increasing air flow as my heating requirements go down will tend to match
increased oil cooling requirements.

Just a theory ... Jim S.