REFLECTOR:Gear odor

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:49:54 -0600

--------------090900000708040606030309

Chuck Jensen wrote:

>John,
>
>Could be.  Do you smell it for a while, or just briefly?  I smell mine for
>4-5 seconds, then it's gone.

Mine is about the same or a few seconds longer.  The odor is more like
electrical when wires overheat.  I guess if we want to resolve this we
could pop the gear circuit breaker when only the nose (or main,
whichever comes first) is retracted.  I generally don't smell anything
which might (most likely) be because I wait longer to retract, or maybe
I didn't use the brakes much.

>  The briefness of the odor probably also says
>something about the amount of air that transverses the nose area, thru the
>keel and into cabin, that the smell comes and goes so quickly.  Granted the
>underside of the wing/wheel wells might be a high pressure area at high AOA,
>but the nose gear area is always a hi-pressure area. I would think that the
>inflow to the cabin from the nose area would "flush" the air thru the cabin
>and out the gear leg opening in the fuselage and not allow air from the
>mains to back up into the cabin.

If it gets in the cabin, I think you will smell it.  One time I had a
small can of PVC cleaner in the cabin.  At altitude I noticed a
moderately strong odor of the cleaner which lasted several minutes until
the can had adjusted to the lower pressure.  I was quite concerned not
knowing how strong the smell might get and what I would do if the can
ruptured.  Now anything like that goes outside the cabin in the strake
cubbyhole or stays home.

John

>Next time I fly, I'll tell the significant other go get behind the back
>seats with a candle to see which way the wind blows when I take off.  That
>idea will probably heat things up and  cause a stink but it won't be from
>brakes or tires.
>
>Chuck

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Chuck Jensen wrote:<br>
 cite="midC0D8472E14AAD51195E9005004A5200431B49B@NTSERVER">
  <pre wrap="">John,

Could be.  Do you smell it for a while, or just briefly?  I smell mine for
4-5 seconds, then it's gone.</pre>
Mine is about the same or a few seconds longer.&nbsp; The odor is more like
electrical when wires overheat.&nbsp; I guess if we want to resolve this we
could pop the gear circuit breaker when only the nose (or main,
whichever comes first) is retracted.&nbsp; I generally don't smell anything
which might (most likely) be because I wait longer to retract, or maybe
I didn't use the brakes much.<br>
 cite="midC0D8472E14AAD51195E9005004A5200431B49B@NTSERVER">
  <pre wrap="">  The briefness of the odor probably also says
something about the amount of air that transverses the nose area, thru the
keel and into cabin, that the smell comes and goes so quickly.  Granted the
underside of the wing/wheel wells might be a high pressure area at high AOA,
but the nose gear area is always a hi-pressure area. I would think that the
inflow to the cabin from the nose area would "flush" the air thru the cabin
and out the gear leg opening in the fuselage and not allow air from the
mains to back up into the cabin.</pre>
If it gets in the cabin, I think you will smell it.&nbsp; One time I had a
small can of PVC cleaner in the cabin.&nbsp; At altitude I noticed a
moderately strong odor of the cleaner which lasted several minutes
until the can had adjusted to the lower pressure.&nbsp; I was quite
concerned not knowing how strong the smell might get and what I would
do if the can ruptured.&nbsp; Now anything like that goes outside the cabin
in the strake cubbyhole or stays home.<br>
John<br>
[...]

Chuck Jensen wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">John,

I don't want to question your nose but I think you're smelling the spinning
nose wheel when it settles against the closed nose doors?  At least I've
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->got
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">rub marks there and I smell it upon retract. I have no rub marks at all in
the main gear wells.  One wouldn't expect your brakes to be hot from a take
off and, besides, I'm not sure we'd ever smell burnt rubber/brakes from the
mains as the air flow will probably sweep it out behind us.  The nose knows
may not be true this time.

Chuck

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->